BUG FS_HandleForFile: none free

Having problems with the website or game? Let us know here.

Moderators: [DB] Admins, Senior Admins, Executive Admins, Server Ops Team

LateLuis
PVT
Flag: Argentina

BUG FS_HandleForFile: none free

Postby LateLuis » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:53 pm

Seems to be a bug only appearing in Mac OS, but I don't know for sure. After searching a little with Google it appears that a file is requested too many times and this looping requests made the game crash.
So I went to my "Call of Duty 2 Data" folder and I have found in the "X2_7" folder a file with a .tmp suffix: sound.iwd.tmp. Normally, when a file has the .tmp suffix it makes imposssible to download the file again (I believe it happens when several files are requested simultaneously, COD uploads the first file but it stops downloading the second file and adds the satanic tmp suffix, which makes the drama begin gain.
I have removed the file, but when I have returned to the server, there was another map playing, so I don't know if it works.
The map where it happens is Road Jonction.
0 x
LateLuis
PVT
Flag: Argentina

Re: BUG FS_HandleForFile: none free

Postby LateLuis » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:59 am

Well, I answer to myself. Yesterday I have play Road Junction and there was no bug. It's may be a victory.
0 x
Rock2zep
SGT
Flag: United States of America

Postby Rock2zep » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:50 pm

Nice to know. I have a MAC Mini but have never had a issue
0 x
Rokannon
SGT
Flag: United States of America

Postby Rokannon » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:02 pm

I've encountered this from time to time. Not really sure what the conditions are to reproduce...

Thanks for posting your experience!
0 x
Private Tiger
1LT
Flag: Great Britain

Postby Private Tiger » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:36 am

Sorry i'm quite delayed on this one.

I did send a PM to Luis and requested he emailed me so I could home in on this issue a little closer. But as he's fixed it I don't think he felt it was worth following up on.

The good news is Luis is back and lining all of us up into his crosshairs.

But regardless of that this issue can still be addressed to not only help any DB members but as this part of the forum is public the COD2 community.

Many people have very old installs of COD2 who have visited many modded servers or even just visited a small few servers that have undergone many mod changes. COD2 can be a very delicate environment, rarely can the game or server push through any errors - It gets confused quite easily, has many limitation each and every way you try to push it and will just spit you out if it finds any kind of hiccup. I go to great lengths to avoid these issues and make most tasks soak up 5x more time than they require on the surface to ensure that we can keep pushing things down the road without gremlins popping up. Unfortunately the game gives me no ability to clean up your game files. I have every i dotted and t perfectly crossed to the best we can when it comes to everything we do right now. But I can't do anything about.... quite frankly the junk that is dormant outside of what we're doing - I do my best to accommodate for all that junk but for some people with very old installs or very high activity on messy servers eventually it's going to wave a white flag.

In this example, there are some files dormant in the X2_7 folder that has nothing to do with playing on our server today - that in simple terms contain files that are similar to what our server is requesting, causing a heap of confusion and then giving up.

When your playing COD2 on DB there are two folders you might find in you main Call of duty 2 install location 292, and 292R (R for rifle range if you visit there) and then the stock COD files. Folders like X2_7, X2_6, AWE, IAFxyz82, etc are nothing to do with us, or you ability to play at DB. A clean DB install main directory looks like the following.

of course, if you play on another server frequently you will need their mod folders too. But if you have an old install you can certainly do some 'spring cleaning' if you run into an issue.
If you're not sure or nervous about deleting anything - don't delete it.
Cut the folder and paste it to a folder on your desktop. Call it, COD temp. Run the game, everything working? happy? Delete the temp folder. Made a mistake? game's broken? put the folders back and try again :)

This is not the only spring cleaning you can do, the same thing occurs inside the "main" folder. I outlined these steps here
http://dbtactical.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=439&p=2802#p2802
This will give you a clean, fresh main directory. You will download new maps etc when you connect ending up with only what you require.

You don't need to do any of this if you're not having any issues. But if you do run into an issue, the above instructions will 99% of the time resolve anything that is the outcome of lots and lots of redundant files.
1 x

Share This

Return to “Support - Help Desk”